It’s a summer month! So LACASIST is meeting online via Zoom only.
Things we’ll be covering this month:
- Fall event “Feedback Loop” updates
- McKinley scholarships — getting the word out
- ASIST Chapter Annual Report
- Other items:
Reach out to Grace at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to add anything else to the agenda!
The Los Angeles Chapter of the Association for Information Science and Technology (LACASIST) is sponsoring their Annual Margaret McKinley Student Scholarship Essay Competition. This competition, first established in 1992, and renamed in memory of the late Margaret McKinley in 1993, is intended to encourage students in Library and Information Science programs to consider the benefits of participation in the activities of professional societies.
The winner will receive reimbursement funding up to US $1,000, for:
- registration, airfare and hotel expenses to attend the ASIST 2017 Annual Meeting, “Diversity of Engagement: Connecting People and Information in the Physical and Virtual Worlds”
- a one-year membership in ASIST
Two runners-up will receive one-year memberships in ASIST.
- All students (including those graduating in spring 2017) enrolled in Library and Information Science programs (in-person or distance education) at universities within the areas represented by the Los Angeles Chapter of ASIST (Hawaii, California, Australia, and New Zealand) are eligible to enter.
- Students residing in one of the areas represented by LACASIST (Hawaii, California, Australia, and New Zealand) and attending Library and Information Science Programs (LIS) distance education programs outside of the areas represented by LACASIST are eligible to enter.
- Students enrolled in graduate programs (at universities within the areas represented by the Los Angeles Chapter of ASIST) not identified as LIS programs may be eligible.
- Interested students in non-LIS programs must include a statement explaining how the program mission relates to ASIST and how ASIST membership and conference attendance would be beneficial.
- Membership in ASIST is not required to enter the competition.
Compose an essay that addresses the following:
- What specific benefits do I expect to derive from attending the ASIST 2017 Annual meeting?
- How will I integrate these benefits into the start of my new career?
- How might LACASIST or ASIST benefit from you receiving this scholarship?
For details about the theme of the ASIST 2017 Annual meeting, visit the ASIST website: https://www.asist.org/events/annual-meeting/annual-meeting-2017/
Essays should not exceed 500 words or two typed, double spaced pages.
Do not identify yourself or your school in the essay.
Fill out the submission form and upload the essay by the deadline of July 31, 2017.
Submit your essay!
Deadline for applications is July 31, 2017.
Winners will be announced September 1, 2017.
If you have any questions about the essay competition, please contact Grace Lau at email@example.com.
We’re getting together for coffee and crepes this Saturday morning to discuss:
- McKinley Scholarship
- what’s going on next for the chapter
Hope you can make it!
UPDATE: We will be meeting via Zoom only due to limited attendance in-person.
Another month has passed by!
We’re meeting in San Gabriel Valley again. This time at U2 Cafe & BBQ for some Hong Kong style breakfast. Sorry to disappoint, but it’s just spam and eggs, which is good enough for Grace. Agenda below.
We’ll also be using Zoom if you’re not able to join in person.
Continue reading March 4 Board Meeting
February is already here! Now that we’re out of the holiday chaos, we’re back to meeting in person (and of course online via Zoom).
- Date: Saturday, February 4, 2017
- Time: 9:00 am – 11:00 am
- In-person. Atlantic Seafood & Dim Sum Restaurant, 500 N Atlantic Blvd Ste 200, Monterey Park, CA. Located within the Atlantic Times Square and can be found on the second floor above 24 Hour Fitness.
- Online. Join us via Zoom. We’ll be bringing a tripod and hope that the place won’t get too rowdy to broadcast.
Here’s a rough agenda:
- Upcoming meetups:
- Feb 18, World IA Day Los Angeles unofficial afterparty
- March 10, Code4lib conference unofficial afterparty
- April meetup
- May meetup
- June unconference
- Awards and scholarships:
- McKinley scholarship
- Travel funds
Are we expecting you? RSVP on Meetup.com
Our first board/planning meeting of 2017 is this Saturday! We’re meeting online using Zoom Cloud Meetings, so hopefully you’ll be able to join us.
UPDATE 1/5: Moved the meeting from 1/7 to 1/14
UPDATE 1/13: Updated Zoom link.
Continue reading January 2017 Board Meeting
We’re meeting virtually for the winter holidays.
- Recap of the Pre-Holiday Mixer on Nov 30, 2016
- Meetup topics for 2017
- What went well?
- What went wrong?
- What could we do differently to improve?
- Sponsoring events:
- Status and action items for sponsoring World IA Day Los Angeles
- Status and action items for sponsoring Code4Lib
- Travel scholarships and McKinley Awards
- Action items for providing travel scholarships for the IA Summit 2017