Media technologies are both proliferating and converging. Libraries and corporations continue to seek new ways to utilize these technologies in order to extend their presence in both traditional physical and virtual spaces. The workshop will examine how libraries and others are using large screen displays and mobile applications to inform users and extend library services by engaging people where they are @: home, on the go, in the library, or on their phone.
- 8:30am – Registration and Continental Breakfast
- 9:00am – Welcome and Introductions
- 9:15am –
- Big Screens: Jamie Hazlitt (Loyola Marymount University), Kristen LaBonte (CSU Channel Islands), John McDonald (The Claremont Colleges), and Tracey Mayfield (CSU Long Beach)
- This session will focus on fun and effective ways that libraries are engaging users with multimedia via the big screens in their lobbies, news centers, and cafes. Each panelist will discuss big screen planning, use, content, costs, benefits, and whatever strikes their fancy. The session will conclude with an activity which allows participants to reflect on their own situation and share ideas.
- 10:45am – Break 11:00am –
- Small Screens: Grace Lau (Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Online) and John Khuu (Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Online)
- This session will focus on user expectations and best practices for mobile applications and services. Examples will be taken from both libraries and e-commerce, and will consider how to enhance communication, extend catalog and database functionality, and integrate geospatial technologies and other commercial applications. The session will conclude with an activity which allows participants to evaluate current mobile projects and share ideas on future endeavors.
- 12:30pm – Lunch Venue: http://libraries.claremont.edu/
Directions and Parking: Detailed map and driving directions to the Founders Room in Honnold Library @ The Claremont Colleges (800 N. Dartmouth Ave, Claremont, CA, 91711) can be found at http://libraries.claremont.edu/contact/maps/
Payment can be made online at the time of registration with a credit card, or you can register online and mail a check payable to LACASIST to: Bo-Gay Salvador, LACASIST, P.O. Box 13102 Marina Del Rey, CA 90295.
All registration and payments must be received by May 14th.
Full refunds will be given for any cancellations prior to the registration deadline. LACASIST reserves the right to invoice registered individuals who do not cancel within the specified time period. If you have registration questions, please contact Bo-Gay Salvador at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message at (310) 339-0337.