Are you wondering if Drupal is the right content management framework for your library website? Have you already made the leap and need to learn some best practices for managing a Drupal site? Our three-part workshop will bring everyone up to speed.
We’ll start by discussing:
- How to evaluate the goals for your website project to choose the right platform.
- Why Drupal is a great fit for library websites (and even some scenarios when it might not be).
Then we’ll will dive deeper with tutorials on a couple Drupal modules:
- Workbench: Get everyone on your team involved in the website without putting your content at risk.
- Features: Taking Drupal site configuration management to the next level.
Finally, we’ll end with a panel that will talk about their own Drupal implementation experiences and address questions from the audience.
- Kristian Allen UCLA Library Programmer – familiar with Drupal and Islandora
- Elaine Blakeman USC Library Programmer – familiar with Drupal CMS because of pending Library redesign
- Caroline Cube, UCLA Library Computing Resource Specialist – familiar with Drupal as power editor because of completed UCLA Library redesign
- It’s free!
- Attend online via Google Hangout on Air / YouTube. Are you going? Let us know.
- Attend on-site at General Assembly, 1933 S. Broadway, 11th Floor , Los Angeles, CA 90007 (Google Map). Bring your laptop for a post-workshop install/troubleshooting session.
Do you need childcare assitance while you’re attending the workshop? Let us know! LACASIST is offering free childcare services for on-site attendees as part of our pilot project to enable parents/guardians to attend our FREE events/workshops. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Geekfeminism, Childcare
- Code4lib 2015 Talk, “How to Hack it as a Working Parent: or, Should Your Face be Bathed in the Blue Glow of a Phone at 2 AM?“
Transit and Parking Info
General Assembly is located in The Reef building. There are 1,126 on-site and adjacent visitor parking spaces. Parking is $10.00 a day, 9am to 6pm. After 6pm, the rate drops to $5.00. The parking lot across the street is $9.00 a day There is metered street parking along Broadway and is $1 per hour, free after 6pm, and free on Sundays. General Assembly is close to Metro bus stops and a Blue line Metro station.
About the Speaker
Tommy Keswick has been working with Drupal for over 6 years and is an active member of the Drupal community in Los Angeles. At both camps and user group meetings in LA, he has presented on a variety of topics with an emphasis on getting new users of Drupal up and running. He also frequently contributes support and patches back to the Drupal community.
A librarian by training, Tommy is devoted to using open source solutions to help libraries and other organizations achieve the mission of increasing access to information and knowledge resources. He has also has presented on using Drupal in libraries at a number of library conferences.
More about Tommy: https://chillco.com/about/tommy-keswick
About Our Partners
At General Assembly, we are creating a global community of individuals empowered to pursue work they love, by offering full-time immersive programs, long-form courses, and classes and workshops on the most relevant skills of the 21st century – from web development and user experience design, to business fundamentals, to data science, to product management and digital marketing.
Established in early 2011 as an innovative community in New York City for entrepreneurs and startup companies, General Assembly is an educational institution that transforms thinkers into creators through education in technology, business and design at fourteen campuses across four continents.