The Los Angeles Chapter of ASIS&T is pleased to offer two (2) travel awards to attend the Information Architecture Summit (IA Summit), a conference for information professionals in user experience and information architecture, in Chicago, Illinois from March 21-25, 2018.
Winner will receive:
- Up to $1,500 to offset conference registration and/or travel expenses (lodging and airfare) associated with attending the IA Summit.
- a one-year membership of ASIS&T (up to $140 value)
Travel award is intended to defray actual expenses but may not be sufficient to meet all expenses of attending the conference. Applicants are advised to plan and budget accordingly. Only actual eligible expenses up to and not exceeding the travel award amount will be reimbursed.
Expenses will be reimbursed to the winner after the conference ends, provided that the obligations and agreements outlined below have been satisfied to the Chair’s approval. The Chapter reserves the right to deny reimbursement of expenses for failure to comply with the conditions stated herein.
To qualify for a travel award, an applicant must meet all of the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in a graduate program for the 2017 fall, 2018 winter or spring OR have received a graduate degree at a university or college within the last five (5) years
- Have not received a LACASIST scholarship or travel award for past ASIS&T-hosted conferences (i.e. ASIS&T Annual meeting or IA Summit)
- Agree to write a post-conference essay about their conference experience and recommendations for future IA Summit conferences
- Reside in California, Hawaii, New Zealand, and Australia
Applicants are highly encouraged, but not required, to submit an abstract to give an oral or poster presentation at the conference.
Applicants are not required to have an existing ASIST membership prior to applying.
Members of the LACASIS&T Scholarship & Awards Committee are ineligible for any of the awards. If a Scholarship & Awards Committee member would like to apply for an award, they need to step aside from the selection committee for that specific award. An ASIS&T member who receives any ASIS&T grant/award may not receive another grant/award in the same year.
The recipient will be required to submit to the LACASIS&T Treasurer a completed Request for Reimbursement/Payment form with original receipts or digital copies for their conference expenses within two weeks of the conference closing.
Award Recipient Obligations
The recipient will attend the 2018 Information Architecture Summit from March 21 – 25, 2018 and will write a short blog post on their conference experience for the LACASIS&T website.
Compose an essay that addresses the following:
- What specific benefits do I expect to derive from attending the IA Summit?
- How will I integrate these benefits into the start of my new career?
- How might LACASIS&T or ASIS&T benefit from you receiving this scholarship?
For details about the conference theme, visit the conference website.
Essays should not exceed 500 words or two typed, double-spaced pages.
Do not identify yourself or your school in the essay.
Fill out the submission form and upload the essay by the deadline of November 30, 2017.