This competition, first established in 1992, and renamed in memory of the late Margaret McKinley in 1993, is intended to encourage students in Library and Information Science programs to consider the benefits of participation in the activities of professional societies.
The winner will receive reimbursement funding up to US $1,000, for:
- registration, airfare and hotel expenses to attend the ASIST Annual Meeting
- a one-year membership in ASIST
Two runners-up will receive one-year memberships in ASIST.
- All students (including those graduating in spring 2017) enrolled in Library and Information Science programs (in-person or distance education) at universities within the areas represented by the Los Angeles Chapter of ASIST (Hawaii, California, Australia, and New Zealand) are eligible to enter.
- Students residing in one of the areas represented by LACASIST (Hawaii, California, Australia, and New Zealand) and attending Library and Information Science Programs (LIS) distance education programs outside of the areas represented by LACASIST are eligible to enter.
- Students enrolled in graduate programs (at universities within the areas represented by the Los Angeles Chapter of ASIST) not identified as LIS programs may be eligible.
- Interested students in non-LIS programs must include a statement explaining how the program mission relates to ASIST and how ASIST membership and conference attendance would be beneficial.
- Membership in ASIST is not required to enter the competition.
- Ian Leong, UCLA
- Steven Chong, San Jose State University
- Katja Broddesson, San Jose State University
- 2002 – Cheryl A. Bartel (runner-up: Rebecca Porter, San Jose State University)
- 2001 – Jennifer Brown (runners-up: Renee Y. Rastorfer, UCLA Department of Information Studies and David Tulanian, San Jose State University)
- 2000 – Heather Hessel (runner-up: Kane Tsay)
- 1999 – Charlotte P. Lee
- 1998 – Holly Ying
- 1997 – Lisa C. Keller
- 1996 – Karen Hilzinger
- 1995 – Jason Binford
- 1994 – Kelli Ham
- 1993 – Kara Steiniger
- 1992 – Marianne Afifi